We live in a magic pill society.
- Get rich in 30 days!
- Lose 20 Lbs in 20 workouts!
- Find the woman/man of your dreams in 7 easy steps!
After being exposed to so many different marketing messages, we start to believe that we’re special (it’s everyone else who needs to figure it out!).
Ramit Sethi calls this “Special Snowflake Syndrome”, Andre 3000 of OutKast calls it “thinking your shit don’t stink” and Charlie Munger calls it “delusional confidence”. These phrases all point back to same fundamental flaws of human psychology.
- We can’t see how our daily habits affect us in the long term.
- We think we’re going to become an overnight success.
- We think we’ll avoid the decades of hard work that typically goes into building a life worth living.
- We think we deserve it.
Unfortunately, you can’t avoid the truth.